Getting things for free is a great way to save money! And you can. We’ve searched the specials and found these great offers for free goods, samples and birthday vouchers.
Birthday vouchers and gifts
Say goodbye to the SMS birthday messages and hello to the specials. Many entertainment venues and restaurants give you a special gift on your birthday in addition to the vouchers and discounts available through loyalty programmes.
We’ve listed a few birthday specials below – some are only available to loyalty programme members. If your favourite isn’t here, ask if there is a birthday special or loyalty programme and what the benefits are.
Loyalty programme birthday gifts
- Sorbet: Get 50% off select treatments or products up to R200
- Ster Kinekor: Get a free movie ticket at a 2D or 3D cinema
- The Body Shop: R50 voucher on your birthday month
- Spur: R50 voucher for adults. Birthday voucher for a meal from the kids’ menu, including drink and ice cream for children under the age of 13
- Mike’s Kitchen: R75 birthday voucher
- Starbucks: Birthday gift
- Doppio Zero: R100 birthday voucher
- Two Oceans Aquarium: Two free entrance tickets
Birthday gifts for everyone at entertainment venues
- Ushaka Marine World, Durban: Birthday discount for tickets bought online. You pay only R15 for the aquarium and waterpark
- Table Mountain, Cape Town: Free cablecar ticket
- Hartbeespoort: Free cablecar ticket
- Gold Reef City, Johannesburg: Free entrance for a child on their birthday, you may also get a discount if you hold a Tsogo Sun loyalty card
Remember: You will need to provide proof that it is your birthday for free tickets, so don’t forget your ID.
Specials and discounts for a day out
Your city has hundreds of things to do – some free, some will offer a discount. Always check before you plan your visit. There is often free entry for certain people on certain days – pensioners on a particular day, or kids during school holidays. To get your search started, here are some places to look for special offers.
- City Sightseeing bus tours in Cape Town and Joburg: Look for specials on their website – they have regular promotions such as children travel free on certain tours or on certain days.
- Botanical gardens: Entry into some botanical gardens is free, others charge an entry fee. They do offer discounts on certain days, so check the website for details.
- Museums: In Cape Town, the Zeitz MOCAA is free to citizens of African countries on Wednesdays between 10am and 1pm. The Norval Foundation is free on the first Thursday of the month.
Free samples and test products
Companies may offer free giveaways, samples and options to test a product before you buy, or to test a product and review it. If you are testing to review products, you’ll need to try them out, complete a review or questionnaire, and in some cases return them – like the big screen TV!
- Wuhu deals: Discount coupons on select Unilever products. Free samples can be ordered of items on promotion
- Home tester club
- Opinion Heroes
Free goodies for new moms
Your bundle of joy can be quite expensive. Loyalty programmes, magazines, expos and health centres such as your pharmacy or hospital may help new moms get started with a bag of free goodies.
- Dischem: Baby Programme offers benefits and a baby bag
- Clicks: BabyClub for moms, with extra goodies for moms not on medical aid
- Private hospitals: Netcare, for example, gives new moms a baby bag
- Medical aids: Your medical aid’s maternity and baby programme may include a free goodie bag
- Baby expos: Mammamagic is a great place to get goodie bags and the latest products
Top tips for searching for freebies and discounts
- Be specific in your search online such using terms such as free, discount, special, promotions.
- Make sure you search in South Africa – we found many freebies that weren’t available to South Africans.
- Phone to confirm – not everyone is diligent about updating their websites.
- Don’t only rely on website searches – phone around to ask for any specials or special offers.
- Check the terms and conditions – you may need to use the ticket or voucher at a certain time, or on a certain day, or spend a certain amount of money beforehand.
Keep an eye out for specials
They say you can’t get something for nothing, but we found that’s not true! The more we searched for specials and discounts the more we found. So, keep an eye out, and be prepared to spend a bit of time searching for the perfect vouchers and discounts for you.